Need An Unique Application Developed For Your Website? We Can Help.
We at Ray Creations love to work with WordPress. We build all our sites and do all our development work ono top of this platform. It not only enables faster web application development, but also makes the process faster & the final application more safe & secure.
We have an outstanding User experience (UX) and User Interface (UI) design team to create that overall appeal for the site. Of course, we also possess the development skills necessary to create the special features and functions that you want developed for your site.
Advantages Of Working With Us:
WordPress CMS Platform
We build on top of the most preferred CMS platform today, i.e. WordPress. Therefore, faster development time.
Best Coding Practices
We use recommended & accepted coding practices resulting in a safer & a faster site.
Your website is 100% Responsive, i.e mobile friendly
(UI) Interface Design
Better design and user interface (UI) increase the site utility, usability, engagement and appeal.
SEO friendly site.
Cutting Edge Technologies
Open source & cutting edge technologies used in the development of your website, like HTML5, CSS3, JQuery, PHP & MySQL
How Development Is Different From Designing?
Designing as the word suggestes is more design focused. It would usually mean creating a website with the standard HTML, CSS, JQuery etc. No programming or server side scripts are involved. The resulting site is mostly information based. Very similar to our web design service here
However, since today most sites are built using a Content Management System (CMS), therefore, even though the process involved a simple website design, the website nevertheless would inherit all the functionality of the CMS. So you get a lot of functionality out of the box. But you get only the functionality that comes inbuilt with the CMS. Nothing more.
The simple designing process itself cannot add additional functionality to the site. For that, you need development work.
Development, on the other hand, involves writing server-side code using any of the programming languages, like PHP. And also usually involves writing and fetching data from a database.
So it is more inclined towards adding custom features and functionality rather than focusing on the design aspect of it.
So if you have a need to include a feature that does not come included as an inbuilt feature of the CMS you are using to build your site, then you would need to custom build this application. And this where website development comes in. Building web applications that are tailored to your needs.
When you do this with WordPress it is called plugin development.
Building Custom Apps Include the Following Steps :
For any kind of development work, I believe it can be broken down or categorized into the different steps below. The steps may vary slightly from company to company, but more or less should be similar. It can differ from project to project too. So let’s look at the steps we usually follow for our own projects.
Assessment & Analysis
What exactly does the client want? What does he want to accomplish? What are the pain points that he wants to solve or get rid of? What technologies are involved? Is it feasible to accomplish all the points? What is the most efficient, secure and economical method to accomplish this?
These aer just a few of the questions that would help you access the particular requirements for the project and give you a directo on what needs to be done.
Understanding the business objectives of the client and to find out the target audience.
- One way is to use a questionnaire that the client can fill in to provide a broad overview of the requirement.
- Further information can be collected from email, chat, notes, messages etc. that may have been shared between us and the client.
- Another way to is to analyze model sites with similar features and functionality referenced by client.
Identifying and Building Specifications & Features List
Complete list of features and functionality requirements for the site are drawn up, including modules, functions, features, sitemap, site navigation.
Modern CMS platforms like WordPress comes with a lot of functionality out of the box. It is important to determine, which functionality of the CMS can be utilized as it is. Which ones are needed to be extended with custom programming, and which modules, features, and functions need to be developed from scratch.
This step would also involve signing of the agreed-upon contract/proposal. This would also involve payment of the initial deposit to get the project work started.
Design & Development
Once the proposal is signed and a deposit made, the project now can be deemed officially started.
- As discussed and agreed upon, the content of the website, images, graphics are either taken from client, or work started to get them created.
- The initial design wireframes are drawn based on previous assessment & analysis and shared with client for feedback.
- User Interface (UI) for different screens are drawn up, mostly in Photoshop or other image editing tools, keeping in mind the User Experience (UX), that would create maximum utility, usability, and appeal to engage the target audience.
- We then provide a temporary link or URL where the website is setup during the development phase for the client view online. The client will be able to track the progress with time.
- Continuous communication takes place between the client and company, with feedback, and revisions & changes happening continually.
- Once the designs are agreed upon, it is time for converting those designs to an actual application. With both the design and the development team working hand in hand. They may often need to interact to understand and clarify how different elements on the website are being implemented. So it is a teamwork.
- HTML5 – Hyper Text Markup Language or HTML – is used as the coding language to bring the UI / User Interface to life.
- JQuery – It is used extensively on modern sites to bring client side interactivity to the web.
As I already pointed out earlier, CMS platforms like WordPress already does that out of the box. But here the developers would work with the API to program the additional features & functionality required for your site.
Developers usually work with the following tools:
- PHP – Server side language to programming language used to develop applications that run on Linux based servers.
- MySQL Database – Storage medium to store the website data, from where it could be later retrieved to display on the site or to perform other functions.
It is important for the development team to perform safety checks (Data Sanitization and Validation) prior to storing or retrieving data from the database to make sure that the developed website application is free from security vulnerability.
This process of design and development continues until the final product is ready.
Testing is vital and is done to ensure that the website application functions as intended. Testing should be done both offline where the website development is taking place. And it should be thoroughly tested after publishing it to the live environment.
It should be remembered that just because the software works offline, does not mean it would work in the same fashion when published on the live server. So testing is vital.
Once the website is pushed to the live server, the website is now online and available to everyone on the internet.
Step 5: Maintenance
Once the website is live and is helping the client achieve their business objectives, it is vital to make sure that the website keeps performing the way it is doing today by engaging the development company in maintaining the site regularly.
Technology changes at a fast rate, which means over time, your website is no longer running the latest technologies.
That essentially means that it might not be performing at an optimal level. Running outdated technology could also mean risking the security and safety of your website. The threats range from Malware, Viruses, malicious intent of other uses and more.
Some of the maintenance functions performed by the agency are outlined briefly below:
- Backups – Regular backups are vital to any business. Information stored in the database and on the website changes over time, as more users register on your site and more transactions take place. Regular backups of the website and the database ensures that this information is not lost.
- Updates – The information and data on the website will need to be updated from time to time, to maintain fresh content on the site. Incorrect information and outdated content does not speak highly of a company.
- Software Updates – Replacing obsolete technology and code with newer ones is vital for a healthy, optimally performing website.
- Database Updates – Like other tools, databases also need updates from time to time.
Website development usually takes longer than website design, as there are more processes involved than regular web design.
We are a development agency build applications with the WordPress framework, for a secure and a faster web app.