Developing Website Applications On Top Of The WordPress Platform
Website Development Using WordPress Platform
We have a very good User experience (UX) and User Interface (UI) design team to create that overall appeal for the site, along with the development skills necessary to create the special features and functions that you want want developed for your site.
Our website design & development team ensures that only accepted coding & website development methodology is used which adheres to industry standards, which in turn ensures a higher performing site with the user appeal necessary to engage your end users.
Benefits of going with us:
- We build on top of the WordPress platform, therefore, faster development time.
- We use accepted coding & website development practices resulting in safer & faster site.
- Your website is 100% Responsive, i.e mobile friendly
- Better design and user interface (UI) increase the site utility, usability, engagement and appeal.
- SEO friendly site.
- Open source & cutting edge technologies used in the development of your website, like HTML5, CSS3, JQuery, PHP & MySQL
- We can continue to maintain the website application for you after it is live.
- We can also host your site on our own high performance servers, and provide a fully managed hosting environment for your site.
How Does Web Development Differ From Web Designing?
However simple is no longer that simple, since we use Content Management System (CMS) like WordPress to build those site, and a lot of dynamic database driven functionality comes with each site out of the box. But yes, you can say that Web Design alone would be used to create websites that are basically informative in nature, with a visual depiction of the products and services you offer listed on your site.
However, if you need more functionality than what comes out of the box with WordPress or similar CMS platforms, than you need web development.
Which essentially means writing server side code or creating custom website application to add those special features and functionality to your site. This would involve both website design and development. Website development involves both Front & Backend development, i.e. the user interface or UI design as well as the server side program. When we create such a software for WordPress, it is called a WordPress Plugin; and the process WordPress Plugin Development.
Website Development Includes the Following Steps :
Similar to traditional development, website development can be broken down or categorized into different phases. Steps may vary slightly from company to company, but more or less stays the same. It will also differ from project to project.
Assessment & Analysis
It is important to understand the particular requirements for the project and what needs to be done.
Understanding the business objectives of the client and to find out the target audience.
- One way is to use a questionnaire that the client can fill in to provide a broad overview of the requirement.
- Further information can be collected from email, chat, notes, messages etc. that may have been shared between us and the client.
- Another way to is to analyze model sites with similar features and functionality referenced by client.
Identifying and Building Specifications & Features List
Complete list of features and functionality requirements for the site are drawn up, including modules, sitemap, site navigation.
Modern CMS platforms like WordPress comes with a lot of functionality out of the box. It is important to determine, which functionality of the CMS can be utilized as it is, which ones are needed to extended with custom programming (website development), and which modules / plugins need to be developed from scratch.
This step would also involve signing of the agreed upon contract / proposal. This would also involve payment of the initial deposit to get the design and development work started.
Design & Development
Once the proposal is signed and a deposit made, the project now can be deemed officially started.
- As discussed and agreed upon, the content of the website, images, graphics are either taken from client, or work started to get them created.
- The initial design wireframes are drawn based on previous assessment & analysis and shared with client for feedback.
- User Interface (UI) for different screens are drawn up, mostly in Photoshop or other image editing tools, keeping in mind the User Experience (UX), that would create maximum utility, usability, and appeal to engage the target audience.
- Usually the website development company would provide a temporary link or URL where the website has been setup for the client to view the project online, as the website design and development progresses with time.
- Continuous communication takes place between the client and web development agency, with feedback, and revisions & changes happening continually.
- Once the designs are agreed upon, it is time for converting those designs to an actual website, with both web design team and website development team working hand in hand. They may often need to interact to understand and clarify how a particular element on the website needs to be implemented, which may also involve graphical and design changes/additions here and there. So it is a teamwork.
- HTML5 – Hyper Text Markup Language or HTML – is used as the coding language to bring the UI / User Interface to life.
- JQuery – It is used extensively on modern sites to bring client side interactivity to the web.
As I already pointed out earlier, CMS platforms like WordPress already does that, but website development team would extended that to achieve the additional features and functionality required for your site.
The development team would usually work with the following tools:
- PHP – Server side language to facilitate storage and retrieval of data on the site.
- MySQL Database – Storage medium to store the data, where where it could be later retrieved to display on the site or to perform other functions.
It is important for the development team to perform safety checks (Data Sanitization and Validation) prior to storing or retrieving data from the database to make sure that the developed website application is free from security vulnerability.
This process of design and development continues until the final product is ready.
Testing is vital and is done to ensure that the website application functions as intended. Testing should be done both offline where the website development is taking place; and it should be thoroughly tested after publishing it to the live environment. It should be remembered that just because the software works offline, does not mean it would work in the same fashion when published on the live server. So testing is vital. Once the website is pushed to the live server, the website is now online and available to everyone on the World Wide Web.
Once the website is live and is helping the client achieve their business objectives, it is vital to make sure that the website keeps performing the way it is today by engaging the website development company in maintaining the site regularly.
Technology changes at a fast rate, which means over a time, your website is no longer running the latest technologies.
That essentially means that it might not be performing at an optimal level. Running outdated technology could also mean risking your websites security and safety. There is so much that could risk your website’s security like Malware, Viruses, malicious intent of other uses etc.
Some of the maintenance functions performed by a website development agency are outlined in brief below:
- Backups – Regular backups are vital to any business. Information stored in the database and on the website changes over time, as more users register on your site and more transactions take place. Regular backups of the website and the database ensures that this information is not lost.
- Updates – The information and data on the website will need to be updated from time to time, to maintain fresh content on the site. Incorrect information and outdated content does not speak highly of a company.
- Software Updates – Replacing obsolete technology and code with newer ones is vital for a healthy, optimally performing website.
- Database Updates – Like other tools, databases also need updates from time to time.
Website development usually takes longer than website design, as there are more processes involved than a regular web design.
We are a website development company that builds website applications on top of the WordPress platform, for a secure and a faster website.